Friday, May 28, 2010

A First Generation Western Thangka Painter Journey

Some days I start my morning with a cup of coffee and a random google search on thangkas. From time to time, I come across another artist with which I'm unfamiliar. From my experience, the individuals or circles working in this tradition have very little knowledge of each other. I envision a network gradually building were we have forums to discuss the various distinct aspects of our art lineages. Step one of this process is adding the names to my blog's sidebar for others to become informed of each other. The next step which I've just begun is to begin some dialogue as well.

Today I discovered an article about Cynthia Moku in the Shambhala Time newsletter. Similar to Jack Niland, Cynthia also studied under Chogyam Trungpa in the 1970's. I consider both to be part of the first generation of western thangka painters. Currently, Cynthia teaches thangka courses at Naropa University. Enjoy this four part article!


Article Link

No comments:

Post a Comment